• COVID-19 Alert

We know that these are very trying times for everyone as a result of this global pandemic. We want you to know that we, at Lightman Law Firm, are here for you. Despite the many physical limitations that have been put in place to curb the spread of the Coronavirus, we have moved our operations to virtual and online format, and we are operational. Please know that our team members are replying to emails, and our phone systems are on.

  • 345 7th Ave Floor 21, New York, NY 10001, USA

Some interesting NAFTA TN Visa facts that may help you:

TN Renewal Tip

The TN can be renewed quickly at a port-of-entry or by mailing an application to the Vermont Service Center.

TN & Immigrant Intent Tip

Unlike the H1b visa or L-1 visa, the TN status does NOT allow for immigrant intent. This means that when you are applying for the TN or seeking to enter the United States in the TN status, you cannot have the intent to immigrate to the United States and remain permanently. However, there are certain ways to navigate this aspect of the TN. It is highly important for you understand this concept and discuss the matter in detail with your TN attorney as it can arise when seeking a green card through employment or through the marriage green card process.

Change of status to TN

If you are already in the United States in another valid nonimmigrant status, such as the H-1B, L-1, O-1, or F-1, you can apply in the United States to change your status to the TN status through a change of status application with the Vermont Service Center. You can also just go to a port-of-entry and apply for a TN.

TN Border Tip

Know your border! It is highly crucial to the success of any TN application for you to have indepth knowledge of the protocol and trends at the borders you’re considering for application. Each border tends to have its own personality and they each approach the TN process in a different manner. Inside knowledge of this information can be crucial for the success of any application.

TN authorized stay Tip

You are only authorized to stay and work in the United States in the TN status as per the period of authorized stay indicated on your I-94. Technically speaking, there is no grace period in the TN status. What this means is that if your authorized stay period expires or you are terminated from your job, you must leave the United States immediately.

TN forms Tip

If you are applying for a TN at a port of entry, there are no required USCIS forms that need to be submitted. If you are applying for a new TN or an extension through the Vermont Service Center then you will be required to submit Form I-129 with your application.

Leave a Reply

Contact Our Law Firm

If you are seeking expert NYC immigration lawyers to help you with your case, tell us your situation.

345 7th Ave Floor 21,
New York, NY 10001, USA
Our Hours
Monday through Friday
09:00 AM – 06.00 PM
Saturday & Sunday closed
Contact Us

Tel: (212) 643-0985
Fax: (212) 643-0967

*Jersey City, NJ office appointments also available. Contact for details.